We spent a couple hours in the recovery room after Braelyn was born and got up to our postpartum room around 3:30am. We all were of course very tired so went right to sleep! Since I had a c-section, I couldn't get out of bed so Jason had to bring Braelyn to me when she needed to eat. She picked up on latching right away and luckily I didn't get any tenderness. Jason was also in charge of all the diaper changings. He did an amazing job and was so helpful! We are just so in awe of our little girl! She is perfect!
Mom, Dad, and Krista came to meet Braelyn at 10:00am. They were SO excited to meet her! We told them in person Braelyn's name since her middle name is Mom's name. Mom of course was very excited and loved the name we chose. They stayed for a couple hours and then left so we could get some rest. They came back in the evening after Colie got off work.
They weighed Braelyn at night and she was down to 8lbs.
I was amazed at how swollen I was, they really must have pumped me full of fluids! I was very lucky that I had almost no pain after the c-section. At midnight (24 hours after the c-section) I finally was able to be removed from the IV, oxygen sensor, etc. which made it much more comfortable and easier to nurse. It was also the first time I got out of bed. It was a very long walk to the bathroom that first time! I was still in little pain so I only took ibuprofen and never needed anything stronger.
Tuesday (10/15):
Braelyn had a really good night. She slept for 3 hours at a time so we felt pretty good in the morning. She was falling asleep during feedings so the lactation consultant told us to undress her, play with her feet, and use cold washcloths. That seems to help. I was able to shower in the morning which was amazing! I felt like a new person! It is amazing what a difference a shower can do! Braelyn was more wide eyed today than yesterday.
Mom, Dad, and Krista came to visit in morning for a little while. After they left I walked around the floor. I moved pretty slow but made the whole loop. It was nice to get out of bed and move around. Scott, Ashley and Brody came to visit in the afternoon. It was amazing to see how much bigger Brody is than Braelyn even though they are only 2 months apart! And then Mom, Dad, Colie, and Krista came back late afternoon. Krista had to go back to Chicago that evening. It was tough to have her leave but she will be back at Thanksgiving.
Mom, Dad, and Krista came to visit in morning for a little while. After they left I walked around the floor. I moved pretty slow but made the whole loop. It was nice to get out of bed and move around. Scott, Ashley and Brody came to visit in the afternoon. It was amazing to see how much bigger Brody is than Braelyn even though they are only 2 months apart! And then Mom, Dad, Colie, and Krista came back late afternoon. Krista had to go back to Chicago that evening. It was tough to have her leave but she will be back at Thanksgiving.
Braelyn had her first bath Tuesday evening. We had an amazing nurse give her a bath and Braelyn did great. Braelyn's weight was down to 7lbs 13oz Tuesday night which was an 8% drop in birth weight. They don't like to see it drop below 10% so we were told we had to wake her up every 2 hours to eat. Her bilirubin levels were also slightly high so they were going to check it again in the morning.
| Such a cute little butt! |
| Nurse Maggie is an amazing swaddler! |
| All bundled up and sleepy after the bath |
Braelyn had another great night. She woke up on her own for feedings, which was great! Since everything looked good and I was feeling good and not in any pain (still only had taken ibuprofen) my OB was going to discharge me. Braelyn needed to get the a-okay from the pediatrician and we could go home. Unfortunately, after they checked Braelyn's bilirubin levels in the morning they had increased from Tuesday night. We did blood work to get a more accurate level to determine if she needed to go under the lights. But the pediatrician said that we needed to stay at least another 24 hours to make sure her levels were under control and ensure her weight didn't drop below 10%. It would have been nice to go home but the most important thing is that Braelyn is healthy and ready to go home. When the blood work results came back her levels were right on the edge for needing to go under the light or not. We decided to wait until that evening before putting her under the lights and see if she was able to work it out on her own since she had started eating more often and longer on her own.
Mom and Dad spent the afternoon with me in the hospital while Jason went home with Braelyn's hat and blanket to have Gibson learn her smells. Jason said that Gibson was excited to see him and did well with the hat & blanket. I think he will do really well with Braelyn. Mom and I walked down to the Nursing Nook (maternity stop) and got some nursing bra and a super cute owl outfit for Braelyn. Crystal came to visit in the evening. And Dad picked us up dinner at Parisi, it was SO good to have a real meal! Hospital food just doesn't hit the spot.
They did more blood work Wednesday evening and Braelyn's bilirubin levels had stayed the same. Even though the levels stayed the same since she was older they actually dropped on the chart. So no need for lights!! Yeah!! Plus, when they weighed her she was back up to 8lbs! She did everything right during the day! Way to go little girl! We get to go home tomorrow!
Mom and Dad spent the afternoon with me in the hospital while Jason went home with Braelyn's hat and blanket to have Gibson learn her smells. Jason said that Gibson was excited to see him and did well with the hat & blanket. I think he will do really well with Braelyn. Mom and I walked down to the Nursing Nook (maternity stop) and got some nursing bra and a super cute owl outfit for Braelyn. Crystal came to visit in the evening. And Dad picked us up dinner at Parisi, it was SO good to have a real meal! Hospital food just doesn't hit the spot.
They did more blood work Wednesday evening and Braelyn's bilirubin levels had stayed the same. Even though the levels stayed the same since she was older they actually dropped on the chart. So no need for lights!! Yeah!! Plus, when they weighed her she was back up to 8lbs! She did everything right during the day! Way to go little girl! We get to go home tomorrow!
![]() |
| Wide eye and hanging out |
![]() |
| No matter how tightly I'm wrapped up I will get my hand out! |
![]() |
| Sleeping Smile! |











No comments:
Post a Comment