Thursday, June 20, 2013

24 Week Doctor Appointment

I had my 24 week doctor's appointment yesterday afternoon.  I had to drink the sugar drink for the gestational diabetes test 1 hour before the appointment.  I choose the red fruit punch one.  Lucky the drink was not as bad as I thought it was going to be.  It wasn't good but it was tolerable.  I had it in my head it was going to be thicker, like simple syrup, but it was just like a normal drink consistency so that made it easier to drink.  It tasted like over concentrated Hawaiian Punch.  Jason would have like it - he loves sugary drinks.
Funny story: I went out to lunch and decided not to get a lemonade because I didn't want to have any extra sugar so I would not throw off the test.  I was told to just eat a normal diet and they didn't tell me to avoid sugar but I figured it would be best not have any extra sugar.  Well after lunch I got back to the office and there was ice cream cake in the break room.  And of course I wasn't going to turn down ice cream cake!  I forgot about the fact that I had to drink the sugary drink less than 1-1/2 hours later and had just turned down lemonade b/c it had too much sugar but somehow I was able to justify ice cream cake was ok!?!  Once I got back to my desk, I looked at my calendar and remembered about the test! Oops! I spent the next hour drinking lots of water to try to flush out the sugar! ha-ha!  Hopefully, the piece of ice cream cake doesn't mess up my test results!

The appointment went really well and everything looks great.  My iron level was at 12.6, right where it needs to be (between 12-15).  So no need to start eating meat! Jason was disappointed. Weight gain was right on track, measurements all looked good, and Baby B's heart rate was 150.  I will find out the results of the oral glucose tolerance test by Monday.  Dr. Grube said everything looked great and she had no concerns.  Easy appointment! 
I go back again in 4 weeks for the 28 week checkup and then will start going back every 2 weeks.  I will also start to meet the other 2 delivery doctors so I am familiar with whoever delivers Baby B. 

No comments:

Post a Comment